Interior living walls have roughly been around since 1994 and are getting more popular every day. We are BIG fans of living walls! And we have so much fun designing them to fit our clients needs!
This living wall that we just installed has a very organic feel to it. We used beautiful pops of yellows and many different shades of green to really give the wall a textured and earthy feel. Knowing the right variety of plants for living walls can be a bit of a challenge because you have to take into consideration plants light and water needs. In this wall we used: pothos, aglaonemas, pleomele, philodendron, and marginatas.
Not only are green walls a stunning statement piece and a great way to bring in greenery when you have little floor space, but they provide great benefits to building and tenants alike. Plant Connection Inc. put together a great list of the amazing benefits of Living Walls:
- Reduces urban heat island effect and smog
- Cleans interior air space by removing VOCs and other harmful toxins like benzene and formaldehyde
- Acts as a sound proofing barrier
- Soil and plants are a natural filter that can clean the water that flows through the wall
- Insulates and cools the building envelope, as well as protecting it from the elements
- Creates habitats for birds and beneficial insects, increasing biodiversity
- Can be used for growing food in urban settings, creating sustainable and local control of food sources
- Increases real estate value
- Increases foot traffic in retail spaces
- Speeds recovery time for patients through biophilia
- Helps children with ADHD focus better in school
- Reduces absenteeism in the workplace and boosts employee morale
- Qualifies for LEED certification points from USGBC